Pet Care Specialist I
Part-Time and Full-Time Available
Do you enjoy dogs more than people? Do you have a fun, energetic personality? Do you love dogs of all sizes, shapes, and personalities? You might be just what we are looking for! Barking Birch Pet Lodge is actively looking for a part-time or full-time Canine Care Specialist to join our pack.
The Barking Birch Pet Lodge is a home away from home for pets. Housed just off Highway 23 outside Rockville, MN, we provide lodging, grooming, and daycare services for furry friends looking to relax while their owners are away or at work.
We treat all of our dogs (and their humans) as individuals. We get to know them by name and temperament. To ensure the safety of the pack, a Canine Care Specialist is tasked with making note of pack cliques and playing “ruff-eree” when necessary (whistle not included).
- Handle pets at check-in and check-out
- Overseeing group play of 10 to 20 dogs
- Conduct new dog behavioral interviews and dog instructions to play groups
- Record and report accurate information on the status, activities, health & behavior of each dog
- Take photos for social media
- Clean and sanitize kennels and dog play areas including sweeping, mopping, laundry, and dishes
- Document and store food, medication, and belongings for guests
- Providing food and water
- Working with dogs individually and in groups
- Ensuring the safety and security of our furry friends
As a Canine Care Specialist, you need a passion for dogs and high energy to provide canines with endless entertainment. We actively work with dogs to teach them good social skills. Onboarding and training will be available to new pack members. Our dogs will teach you how to sit, stay, and fetch.
Other qualifications include:
- Love for the outdoors
- Ability to be physically active
- Ability to work with dogs of all sizes
- Ability to work effectively on a team
- Can handle loud noises and stress
- Extremely reliable
- Have a strong work ethic
- Available to work some holidays and weekends
- Assist with maintenance as required (spreading rock, leaf blowing, general picking up, etc.)
Playing with our dogs is very active job. It involves standing, walking, bending, stooping, and cleaning. Sometimes, it’s not just our dogs that go home tired.
Keeping play and rest areas clean and sanitary is our top priority for the safety of two and four-legged guests.
The dogs that visit our resort insist on being accompanied during playtime in all weather conditions. Because their comfort (and demands) is our top priority, our staff is exposed to every type of Minnesota outdoor exposure that is safe for our canine guests.
All animals at barking Birch are required to be up to date with their vaccinations. First-time visitors are required to go through a behavior assessment to ensure the safety of canine and human pack members.
The members of our pack understand that when working with animals, they must value integrity, responsibility, and patience. Understanding the needs of our animals and their behavior is not always predictable or easy.
Throughout the day, we work in groups and individually with team members and animals. It is important that we practice collaborative communication with our fellow team members and pet owners. This allows us to quickly and accurately report any behavioral or situational concerns.